[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 6 02:04:43 MDT 2005

Dan Lusthaus schreef:

>Let me put it this way: unless people on the left begin to recognize the
>reality of the problem of Islam and devote some creative energy to dealing
>with that (enlisting and empowering moderate Muslims would be a start), the
>only ones who will be dealing with it are the Bushes and right wing
>demagogues. As long as the left thinks the way to solve the problem is to
>join the jihadists in their anti-American choruses (as if that somehow
>immunizes them from being the target of the next attack -- it doesn't), the
>problem will only get worse, and those in the middle will continue moving to
>the right.

I think this is hopelessly naïve. Just nagging about bad guys who don't
understand it all and the treat of the great ennemy. Dan, people just do
what they think is right and people are shortsighted or even nothing
less than stupid sometimes. If you want to understand what's going on
you must see this first and then read Macchiavelli and apply a little
but of sociology. It's clear that there are fanatics who blow themselves
to pieces in restaurants, but the everage Muslim is just some one who
wants food and safety. If you however look at the lifestories of these
fanatics you may understand that nobody invents himself and decides to
become a terrorist or a gangmember, which is not very different. You may
ask yourself what would be the smartest move: building many huge prisons
and raising a hugy army or helping the poor to live a decent life. The
last thing might be the best solution to the problem and even has the
advantage of being more in line wiht the Brahmavihara's.

--
Groet

Erik

www.xs4all.nl/~jehms