[Buddha-l] Karma and capitalism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Oct 4 09:42:23 MDT 2005

Chan Fu wrote:

>I beg to differ.
>Capitalism is no more than a revitalization
>and reorganization of the feudal system. I believe
>Vic Stenger (http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/vstenger/)
>in one of his papers referred to the "self"ishness that's
>inherent in it.

Stenger is one of those intellectual midgets who tries to make a name
for himself by cranking out cartoonish critiques of ideas that were more
than adequately dealt with already by Voltaire some time ago. He is
obsessed with critiquing religion - about which he knows absolutely
nothing. His notion of Religion is narrowly defined by
worst-case-scenario Christianity. In other words, the man wouldn't know
subtely if it bit him in the arse. Why anyone would take his views on
economics seriously is beyond me. In fact, I seriously doubt that anyone
does.

Besides, I never claimed that there weren't ninkompoops who peddled
theories according to which Capitalism is nothing new. My claim was that
the newness of Capitalism was not an idea of my own invention (and that
simply to score debating points against Dan Lusthaus) but that it is
rather an old idea quite clearly espoused by both Karl Marx and Adam Smith.

- Curt