[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Tue Oct 4 11:02:08 MDT 2005

Richard wrote:

> Nationalism IS the American religion. Saluting the flag is the principal
> sacrament.

The military is its clergy and criticising it or doubting that all the
fallen troops were sacrified for a good reason is sacrilege. Exporting
freedom and having it guarded by armed forces is its charity... etc. As
a European I should be am grateful for the sacrifices made during WWII,
yet at the same time that shouldn't stop us from being critical about
some decisions made and actions taken, in honour of those who gave their
lives. So many gifts, so many strings...

> I'd say more, but I need to go persuade my Reasoning and Critical
> Thinking class...

But don't Reasoning and Critical Thinking make unhappy citizens? (trying
without conviction to get this conversation back to Buddhism).

Joy