[Buddha-l] Buddhism and capitalism

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Oct 4 10:42:04 MDT 2005

Since Richard has just reminded us of the true religion of
America--nationalism and flag waving and we are God's own country--I want to
suggest some reading for those of you who are immune to the wizard of Oz's
existential maya-- the maya of the prevailing offical US world view-- a
reading that includes nothing about god or religion but says a lot about the
elites of the world who as we speak are busy protecting their own butts, on
the basis of what Michael C. Ruppert calls "demand destruction."
I hope that as Buddhists we can organize responses in our various
communities to deal with the forthcoming problems, responses that will be
useful and helpful because we believe in sharing and compassion. Every man
for him or herself probably won't work.

So look over the website, read his forthcoming talk in (the first public
conference of any magnitude on peak oil. which I will include here as I just
subbed to his research service) to be held in the NYC UU hall on Oct 5th.
Hope this is not too long for the server to entertain.
http://www.fromthewilderness.com/     http://www.petrocollapse.org/
Joanna
------------
Begin talk:

GOVERNMENT, FINANCIAL, AND POLITICAL AWARENESS OF PEAK OIL PRIOR TO 2005

FIVE RULES FOR SURVIVAL OF THE COMING COLLAPSE

(A Speech for the New York Petrocollapse Conference - October 5, 2005)

by
Michael C. Ruppert

© Copyright 2005, From The Wilderness Publications,
www.fromthewilderness.com. All Rights Reserved.  May be circulated,
distributed or transmitted for non-profit purposes only.

October 5, 2005 (FTW) - NEW YORK -- Most people who have come to this
conference; indeed, perhaps even some of the presenters here today, have
come with a serious misconception. That misconception is a belief that there
is an urgent need to somehow make key decision makers and leaders of
American and global life aware of the immediate problems of Peak Oil and
Natural Gas.

Nothing could be more off base. The world's key decision makers have been
aware of and planning for this crisis for years.

In fact, by understanding clearly that political, economic and business
elites have been aware of Peak Oil and its deadly implications, we can see
that remedial actions designed to save lives and minimize the effects of
collapse can and will only be initiated by individuals working through and
as part of local communities.

There is a record - much too long to describe fully here - that official
awareness of Peak Oil and its implications has been a distinct and
well-articulated part of US political and economic thinking going back at
least to 1977. I will give you just a few brief examples to make the point.
Many of these examples are included in my book "Crossing the Rubicon: The
Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil" (New Society,
2004). If you listen closely to these few examples you will understand that
even though the term Peak Oil is rarely mentioned, it is exactly what is
being described.

In the same vein, it is foolish to believe that any governmental preparation
for Peak Oil will be publicly labeled as such. Most preparations, so as to
avoid panic and/or political risk, have been carefully concealed in other
documents and legislation such as the PATRIOT Act and the Homeland Security
Act. In my earlier presentation and throughout the day today, it should be
growing clear to you that official preparations for Peak Oil have been
underway for some time. And - as I document in "Rubicon" - they include the
attacks of September 11th, 2001 and all US government foreign policy
initiatives since then.

[deleted-- his history of how long ago and who knew and reported on peak oil
and consequences.]

We are witnessing government response to Peak Oil now. In my earlier
presentation I have made it clear that that response will include only
measures which protect the financial elites and major corporations. They
include:

1. Rationing
2. More Coal and Nuclear - Emphasis on Fisher-Tropsch Coal-to-Liquids
Conversion.
3. Suspended Environmental and Drilling Restrictions
4. Protection of Critical Infrastructure
5. Strengthening and Reinforcing Domestic Military Operations - Suspension
of Posse Comitatus
6. Suspension and Relaxation of Labor and Minimum Wage Laws.
7. Changing and Tightening the Bankruptcy Laws Allowing Fewer Distressed
Consumers to Discharge Debts.
8. Allowing and Facilitating Population Reduction through Famine and
Disease.
9. Strengthening and Giving More Power to FEMA.
10. Destroying Demand Through Economic Collapse and Allocating Scarce
Resources - by Force if Necessary - to Protect the Interests of the
Wealthiest Communities and Interests in the Country.
Accordingly, I have developed five rules which should be used as a guide for
all who understand Peak Oil, who appreciate both its imminence and
significance, and who wish to do something to increase their chances for
survival as our long emergency now begins:

1. There is no combination of alternative energy sources anywhere that will
enable current consumption and growth to continue.

2. Even if there were, it takes 30 years and lots of capital investment to
change an energy infrastructure. Peak Oil is here now. The current
infrastructure will not be rebuilt or even well maintained. The return on
that investment for the financial elites is "uncertain" and they will not
spend any more than they have to on band aid solutions until the crash
becomes apparent.

3. No government entity (federal or state) will do (or be able to do)
anything to solve Peak Oil and energy shortages. The political system is
utterly and irretrievably broken.

4. Until you change the way money works, you change nothing. It will be more
profitable to let decline, starvation, wars, disease and famine occur than
it will be to prevent them (Disaster Capitalism).

5. All real solutions will be place-based, local and originate at the grass
roots, independent of government. What saves you and your family will be
determined by what and who is in your own neighborhood and what kind of
cooperation has been achieved there.

These are stark and harsh words, I realize. But for many years now I and
"From The Wilderness" have had an uncanny record - around 80% -- of
accurately predicting future trends and events. We are today just weeks away
from one of the largest economic crashes to ever hit the United States. It
is a crash that has actually been encouraged for some time through reckless
fiscal policy, soaring deficits both in Washington and in our balance of
payments accounts, the unbridled and inexcusable inflation of the housing
bubble, expansion of consumer credit and a negative net savings rate to name
a few.

It is in this way that massive demand destruction will be achieved to
maintain a degree of broader global stability as Peak Oil begins to claim
casualties as it already has in Zimbabwe and Indonesia. With the United
States consisting of 5% of the world's population consuming 25% of the world's
energy output, it has been clear for some time that America was the only
profligate spender which mattered and which needed to be "adjusted" before
broader global desperation measures could be implemented.

With all of the sincerity and fervor I have; with every ounces of
credibility I have established over these many long years of activism and
painstakingly documented research, I urge all of you to take these warnings
seriously and to take action now. Understand that the only productive
efforts you can make are to look at your own lives and your own communities
and to start taking the actions that will expand your options and increase
your support bases there.

Because I assure you that there is no one in Washington capable, and no one
on Wall Street with even the slightest bit of concern, about how you will
come out of this, except as a crippled vehicle - perhaps a bankrupt
indentured servant - to maintain an economic paradigm that demands infinite
growth and the sacrifice of everything that is human and good to achieve it,
even human life itself. Even with as little time as now remains before
reality hits, there are steps you can take, and which you can determine for
yourself, which may make a difference in how you fare through this. But the
only way to begin that process is to understand that no one, except perhaps
your neighbors and your family, is going to do anything to help you and that
this, has been the real plan for many, many years.

Thank you.