[Buddha-l] Karma and capitalism

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Mon Oct 3 01:58:21 MDT 2005

Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> So it seems some are willing to concede (as 2000+ years of Buddhist history
> would compellingly and decisively indicate) that Buddhism is compatible with
> mercantilism, but for some reason, not capitalism.

I would rather turn it around and say that mercantilism and capitalism
are compatible with just anything as long as it's worth investing in it
for various reasons. They are the genuin universal religion of this earth.

One could also say that Buddhism is pretty much compatible with anything
too. Yoga, Samkhya, Brahmanism, Bhakti, guruvada, Vedantism, Taoism,
Pantheism, Scepticism, Stoicism, sacrifices, salvation, indulgences,
Shamanism, Psychology, Quietism... Why single out mercantilism? Or why
exclude mercantilism for that matter. Like any religion, Buddhism has
grown out of this world, has fed on this world, but is it aiming this world?

There is a difference here between Buddhism as a philosophy/religion and
Buddhism as a historical reality.

Joy