[Buddha-l] Re: Greetings from Oviedo

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Mon Oct 3 00:09:01 MDT 2005

Hi Benito,

>    Recently,  I  was  said in a sidrería (Asturian folk
> pub  where  Asturian  cider is the queen) conversation,
> "Everything  are  opinions, and mine is just one more".
> (This   is   the  kind  of  rethoric  I  used  to  call
> "Americanized  stupid  liberal talk" but that I tend to
> call  "globalized  gibberish"  nowadays.) Well, I don't
> agree with the statement at all, but let's pretend that
> we  buy  it for a couple of seconds. Maybe Bush is just
> defending     his     own     reading     of    Jesus's
> philosophy--globalized  gibberish  legitimizes him, and
> it  seems  that half of the US supports his reading, at
> least  it  supported  such  a  reading  during the last
> election  time.  This  rises the perturbing question of
> how  American  (global)  public  opinion  is shaped (by
> corporations),  but  maybe  it  would be better to deal
> with it at another time.

I was in Oviedo a couple of years ago for work. Pleasant little town and
lovely cider.

If only they really thought "Everything  are  opinions, and mine is just
one more" and drew the right conclusion not to act on them. If you want
to be a sceptic, be one all the way, with mucho cojones, and leave the
others to their opinions I'd say, but that's only my opinion.

The Anglosaxon (as us Latins like to call them) brand of Christian
religion seems to be a very militant one. I was struck when walking into
British cathedrals to see so many statues and representations of
admirals, military symbols, allusions to national victories etc. there.
Nation and religion are almost one. I guess that historically this is
less true of catholic nations that were confederated in their link with
Rome and therefore national elements were less present. I am afraid that
the Americans can't separate their nationalism and religion.

Nice to see you back

Joy