[Buddha-l] Re: Nirvana

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Sun Oct 2 19:45:50 MDT 2005

On  Wednesday,  September  28,  2005,  Erik Hoogcarspel
wrote:

> I  heard  a  talk  the  other day which Gombrich gave
> during a Buddhist summerschool in England a few years
> ago.  There  he  states  that  the  Buddha  took many
> Brahmanic  concepts  and  used  them  and turned them
> around to explain his own way to nirvaa.na.

   It's quite clear to me that the Buddha developed his
own  vision  from  the vision he shared with his fellow
citizens (as it couldn't be otherwise). Buddhism is not
a  root  global  story (as I like to call to a specific
kind  of  cosmovision),  but  an answer to one of those
(i.e.,  a dependent alternative global story). It's not
only  that he transformed old Indian concepts, but that
he  owes  his own cosmovision to them. I would say that
he  was  quite  closer to both Brahmanic and Upanisadic
worlds  (because  in  fact  they were really not worlds
apart).

   Best wishes,

   Beni