[Buddha-l] Getting real about Buddhism and capitalism

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Oct 1 09:51:18 MDT 2005

I think that the entanglement of Buddhism with capitalism goes much
further and deeper than the financial successes and excesses of big shot
teachers. We are all conditioned by the society that we grow up in - and
that conditioning continues throughout our lives. I have found that it
requires extensive meditation practice, ardent study of Marx and Plato,
and large doses of hallucinogenic drugs to even begin to scratch the
surface of this conditioning. While my methods to address this problem
may appear unsound to some - the problem itself, and the urgent need to
address it, is right out of Buddhism 101. Economic conditioning is
extremely deeply buried, especially in the American psyche (which is
rapidly becoming the Human psyche). Americans have a hard time even
saying the word "class" without twitching and barking uncontrollably.
And we all belong to an economic class (usually not the one we suppose -
to the extent that we do suppose) - and the vast majority of the actual
facts of our lives from the moment we are conceived (think infant
mortality) to the moment we die are rigidly determined by what class we
belong to. And these "material conditions" largely condition our
consciousness.

Anyone who takes the conditioned nature of our minds seriously should
take a second look at Marx - if you haven't already. Far from being the
callous materialist that he is usually portrayed as, Marx's whole
Philosophy is mostly concerned with consciousness - and precisely with
consciousness as a conditioned phenomenon. Most of what Marx says can be
very broadly summarized as "if you change the conditioning then you will
change the resulting consciousness". The rest is working out the
details. Of course most "Marxists" can't see this because of their
hyper-materialism - for which they can largely blame Marx himself, whose
overcorrection of Hegel's idealism doomed Marxism to be congenitally
stunted in the ethics department. But even though Marx insisted that he
was a callous materialist - he was actually a Philosopher of the Mind
(not the brain, but the Mind.) Unfortunately most Marxists do as Marx
said, not as he did.

Most Buddhist teachers appear to be completely unaware of the pernicious
role of economics in the conditioning of consciousness. They either
blandly accept, or enthusiastically endorse whatever the existing
socio-economic status quo is. This is even true for 99% of Buddhists who
consider themselves "engaged" - their political/social/economic critique
rarely strays from a predictably "liberal" agenda that at most seeks to,
ever so gently and slowly, reform capitalism.

- Curt