[Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

Piya Tan libris at singnet.com.sg
Sun Nov 20 20:59:05 MST 2005

Dear James.

James Ward wrote:

> I'm glad the links were of some help.  (I should have mentioned that
> the Mahavastu file is about 2 megabytes, so that some could be
> forewarned.)

I found that converting it into pdf and then saving it preserves its original
format, but I also downloaded the html version for easier cut and paste.
Thankfully, 3 mb is not too big for my slow connection.

> The Catusparisatsutra seems to _almost_ be online -- see the "Sanskrit
> Buddhist Canon Input" section of the website of the Nagarjuna Institute
> of Exact Methods
>
> http://www.nagarjunainstitute.com/

What a happy surprise! Prof. Lancaster (my professor when I was visiting scholar
in Berkeley) is the coordinator and the sponsor is the University of the West
(previously Hsilai Univ) where he is president. This is a good time to say hello
again after so long.

You are right, Catusparisat Sutra is announced as completed on the site, but not
found in the download section.

>  I think I will try to
> obtain this through interlibrary loan (thanks for the idea!), so let me
> know if you have difficulties finding it or the electronic copy above,
> and maybe I can send it, assuming it is available (and depending on how
> large it is!  but the Sanskrit text alone should be short enough,
> regardless).

Thanks for this info. yes this would be a great Dharma gift for text-deprived
Singapore. Apparently, I have more Pali texts (almost all the PTS eds) in my house
than the Buddhst Library here in Singapore has. Sadly it is very difficult to find
those rare old publications like Waldschmidt's editions.

Thanks again & sukhi

Piya