[Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Sat Nov 19 09:48:07 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: buddha-l-bounces at mailman.swcp.com on behalf of Joy Vriens
Sent: Fri 11/18/2005 11:40 AM
To: Buddhist discussion forum
Subject: Re: [Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

Blumenthal, James wrote:

> There is no reason to believe he knew Sanskrit.

Then who did all the plagiarizing?

Joy,

Please do not misquote me.  I DID NOT SAY that there is no reason to believe the Buddha knew Sanskrit.  I wrote,

"I think it would be more accurate to say there is every reason to believe the Buddha did NOT teach in Sanskrit."
Jim Blumenthal

It is well know that the Buddha taught in local vernacular languages so as to increase accessibility of the teachings and not limit his audience to male Brahmins, the only people who knew Sanskrit in "India" at the time.  Whether or not the Buddha KNEW Sanskrit is another question, but I do not see what it has to do with plagiarizing.  Maybe you can help me out on this one.

Jim Blumenthal

James Blumenthal
Dept. of Philosophy
Oregon State University