[Buddha-l] Sanskrit speaking Buddha

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Fri Nov 18 10:58:00 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-11-17 at 01:06 -0600, Bruce Burrill wrote:

> I just read something by Namdrol (Malcolm Smith), a former Buddha-l-oid:
>
>  >There is every reason to beleive that the Buddha spoke Sanskrit,
> and was educated in Sanskrit.
>
> And, of course, taught in Sanskrit....
>
> Thoughts on this?

There is no reason to believe he knew Sanskrit. Now if you can find
someone foolish enough to say there is some reason to believe the Buddha
knew Sanskrit, you'd have a middle path between Malcolm's "every reason"
and my "no reason."

--
Richard

I think it would be more accurate to say there is every reason to believe the Buddha did NOT teach in Sanskrit.
Jim Blumenthal

James Blumenthal
Dept. of Philosophy
Oregon State University