[Buddha-l] Re: Christian meditation and eastern symbolism

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 17 20:17:47 MST 2005

    Said Joy:

In fact the "danger to avoid" I refered to was the "danger of falling
into syncretism" (These and similar proposals to harmonize Christian
meditation with eastern techniques need to have their contents and
methods ever subjected to a thorough-going examination so as to avoid
the danger of falling into syncretism.).

  Says I:

  I have no argument with syncretism so I guess I would argue with the new pontiff.  I have nothing to defend. Once having been a student of anthropology and religion I studied religions paradoxically to become a better aetheist and a better devotee.  Religions are all different variations of the same quest - there is no denying a mystical inner force in the universe - unbroken wholeness.  We glean as much in dim light of our silent prayer - we were breathing.

  all the best
  michael