[Buddha-l] Critiques of Buddhism

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 14 10:12:13 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-11 at 11:32 -0700, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> I'll send other references early next week.

The New Catholic Encyclopedia (http://www.advent.org) has an article on
Buddhism that they say was written in 1910. (Right up to date, that.)
They recommend reading the article and then doing a prayerful reading of
the document "Nostra aetate" from the Second Vatican Council. (There is
a short paragraph on Buddhism there, along with the claim that the
Catholic Church "condemns nothing that is true" in the teachings of the
Buddha. Although rather short on specific details about what may be true
in Buddhism, the document does say that Buddhism acknowledges the
inadequacy of the world and of the Republican party. (Maybe part of that
was just a fantasy on my part.)

I had several references to Buddhism in various evangelical web sites,
but I can't find most of them now. It's probably just as well. They
weren't very accurate. The only one I can find is
http://www.christiananswers.net/evangelism/beliefs/buddhism.html. This
handy site tells earnest evangelical Christians how to go about
converting Buddhists.

Probably one of the strangest web sites on someone's idea of Buddhism I
have found recently is http://www.attan.com/ , which sports the largest
collection of swastikas I have found on any one page. It might be a
little difficult to spend more than three minutes looking at that site
without becoming mentally ill.

--
Richard