[Buddha-l] Critiques of Buddhism

Wong Weng Fai wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Sat Nov 12 07:27:14 MST 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> If you are interested in going to a Buddhist site that singles out some
> allegedly pseudo-Buddhist cults for condemnation in no uncertain terms,
> take a look at www.buddhistcouncil.org/cults.htm for spirited
> denunciations of Falun Gong, Aum Shinrikyo, Soka Gakkai and NKT. (Often
> sites that decry SGI and NKT also denounce the FWBO, but they seem to
> have escaped the attention of this particular Buddhist Council.)

They listed:

	- Falun Gong
	- Suma Ching Hai
	- True Buddha Order
	- Aum Shinrikyo
	- Soka Gakkai
	- Rissho Kosei Kai
	- I Kuan Tao
	- New Kadampa Tradition

All of these are active (in various degree - except may be Rissho Kosei
Kai) in where I am. I am interested to hear what people on this list
think. In particular, which of the above is correctly labelled a "Buddhist
cults" and which suffered an injustice, and more importantly, why.

W. F. Wong