[Buddha-l] Buddhism & American Christianity

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Nov 10 14:36:28 MST 2005

Buddhism and Christianity both live on many different levels. One of
those levels is that of "religious vocation". This is the realm of
people whose lives are primarily devoted to or revolve around religion
itself. While the total number of Christians in American probably
outnumbers the total number of Buddhist by 10,000:1 or something like
that - at the level of individuals who are sincerely seeking a religious
vocation, Buddhism competes head to head with Christianity, and might
even have an edge (of course I lack statistics to back this up - but,
hey, I don't mind!). Intelligent, well educated, serious minded young
people who want to devote their lives to a religious vocation (the
backbone of the clergy in any religion) are increasingly unlikely to be
drawn to Christianity in America, or in Europe for that matter. They are
far more likely to be drawn to Buddhism. While hard statistics are,
well, hard to come by in terms of a direct head to head comparison, the
"recruitment" statistics for the Catholic clergy are pretty
illuminating. The number of intelligent, well educated, serious minded
young people interested in becoming Catholic priests is rapidly
approaching zero in America and Europe. And its not just the numbers
that matter here - but the quality of the "material". Its never been a
challenge to find people who are willing to exchange honest work for the
guaranteed daily three square meals and free room and board (not to
mention the health insurance and retirement benefits) that are part of
the Priestly package - but getting people you really want and who are
genuinely up to the job has always been the real issue.

If your student wants to see how Buddhism is affecting Christianity I
would suggest she interview seminarians and ask them how they have been
influenced by Buddhism, and ask Seminary teachers how they think their
students have been affected by Buddhism. If she can possibly track down
some Carmelite nuns they would probably love to tell her about how they
have been influenced by Buddhism.

- Curt