[Buddha-l] more discussion on terms for Holy Objects in Buddhism

Sally McAra s.mcara at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 6 21:33:59 MST 2005

Hi there,

Thanks to all who replied. I am replying to most of the posts in a
single post, since I get the emails in Digest form it seemed the most
practical way to reply.

--

-Michael Paris wrote "Your original message appeared directed to those
qualified to answer, rather than addressed to any with some experience

Quite right, I know I have digressed from my original inquiry about
terminology, but I wanted to encourage (provoke) more people to say what
they thought around the topic more generally. Now that I am
participating in discussion rather than just sending out a brief
inquiry, I may as well reflect some more…

--

-Michael Paris wrote that he was inspired by a beautiful old catholic
cathedral."That couldn't be more different from anything 'worldly' -

I know what you mean, I find some of those places beautiful, too (except
not baroque,which is really not my cuppa!). But I find more of a sense
of peace from being in the mountains or forest. The trouble is with
built places that are meant to inspire awe, wonder, admiration, etc is
that there may be awful things beneath the surface. For example, when I
see gold on altars in Catholic churches, I can't help but think of the
genocide of the Aztecs & Incas, and how some of their gold ended up in
Cathedrals. I have also heard of impoverished laypeople in the Buddhist
world borrowing money to buy gifts, etc etc for the monks (and
presumably also for the temples, statues, stupas etc) while their own
children are starving or going without basic healthcare, education etc.

--

-Michael Paris wrote "Fairly recently a saint's relic - in a reliquary
of course - was in Dallas for a days. The Catholic faithful turned out

Yes they had (some of) St Teresa of Lisieux' bones here in NZ recently,
I wanted to go visit but didn't make it there. And of course, as part of
my research I’ve helped with the running of some Buddhist relic
exhibitions and noted how different communities respond differently to
them… (and how diverse the responses can be even within one group. At
one such event, the intended audience *stayed away* in droves!)

-"In any event, I'm not sure you can see it from the participants' point
of view. It may be entirely subjective, and can't be shared."

You're quite right, I cannot experience someone else's experience. I
should have spelt out more precisely that I am trying to learn about
their points of view from their *expressions* (writings, talk,
behaviour, etc.) of their experience.

--

Thank you to Richard Nance and Stephen Hodge for your suggestions about
the sources, terms, some helpful leads there. I am aware that the way

--

Curt wrote - 'Perhaps you are looking for an adjective rather than a
noun. As in "holy" or "sacred" or "religious". In fact the original

useful; I just spoke with someone who speaks Hindi and he said for
Hindus a temple is not so much 'sacred' as a 'ritually clean' space. So
I'm aware that the categories used in English might not have the same
meanings in Sanskrit, the old problem of cross-cultural translation.

Any suggestions for how a Sanskrit-speaking Buddhist of the kind of bent
that favours such things as consecrated objects for use as aids to
practicing the Dharma? And is there a comparison for forms of Hinduism
that do that?

--

Thanks Rob for the reference, and Kate for the comment about the 3-D
mandala (it seems that's a pretty common way of describing stupas, I’ve

Cheers

Sally

--
Sally McAra