[Buddha-l] RE: seeking the Pali and Sanskrit termfor"holy/religious/, sacred objects"

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 18:16:52 MST 2005

Dear Richard,

> I'm going to forfeit (I don't enjoy games of this sort at all). [snip] But
> if you need to claim
> victory in this contest of pedantry, I'll be happy to cede it: you win.
> You're more pedantic than
> I am.
Perhaps you've had a hard day today, but you seem to be over-reacting -- I
am sorry for this since it is untypical of you..  I don't see this as a
contest and I do not see it as a matter of pedantics -- you were the one who
introduced the word.  To re-cap, without labouring the point unnecessarily,
you seemed to express some disappointment that the "puuja-pari.skaaraa.h"
section of the MVtti only dealt with the materiel of puujas.  I then pointed
out that the Tibetan was mistranslated with regards to "yo-byad" -- with a
valid warming about Korosi.  You then introduced your theory that
"pari.skaaraa.h" does or could connote the standard Sanskrit sense of
"ornaments" or "adornments", which I countered with Edgerton who gives the
same equivalent as I do for pari.skaara (yo-byad), which leads me to believe
(given Edgerton's lexical crtieria) that that meaning which, to my mind,
fits the MVtti entry better is a special Buddhist usage.

With all due respect to you (and not in a competitive, point-scoring
spirit), I think you are wrong.  No shame in that -- I get things wrong too
sometimes.  That the Edgerton / Hodge rendering is closwer to the intended
connotation is suggested by the Tibetan word yo-byad itself, but also from
the numerous independent occasions in Chinese, known for more flexible
textual translations, where pari.skaara even used on its *own* is translated
as "things for offering / things to make offerings with".  I have not been
able to find any non-Buddhist occurence or citation of puuja-pari.skaara,
but note that puuja-sa.mbhaara and puujopakara.na are quite common -- I
would thus suggest that all three terms are virtually synonymous.  To
translate as you suggest with "ornaments", just seems to introduce
unnecessary obfuscation -- I tend to think that the Chinese and Tibetan
translators knew what they were doing.

Sorry if you find all this unintendedly pedantic, but you know that
lexicography is one of my interests.  If Sally is trying to be precise in
her understanding of possible Buddhist terms that meet her criteria, then an
accurate rendering of each term would seem to be useful.

So cheer up and don't take it all so personally !

Best wises,
Stephen Hodge