[Buddha-l] Silence of the List

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Nov 2 11:01:21 MST 2005

Joy Vriens wrote:

>> Gandhi: only the strong have a right to call themselves true pacificists;
>> the weak are pacificists only out of necessity.
>
> The strong have any right they want. They decide on who has what rights.
> But every child knows that. Is that what Gandhi wanted to point out?

First, note that I was paraphrasing from memory.  Perhaps I should have said
that "it is only appropriate for the strong ... " or something like that.
What I thnk Gandhi was saying is that a conscious and deliberate choice to
adopt pacificism is more laudable in the case of the strong because they
have other options, whereas the weak (unless they are stupid) do not have
the luxury of making such choices -- they are generally pacificists out of
necessity.   Does that make things clearer for you ?

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge