[Buddha-l] Spread of Buddhism

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Sat May 28 16:43:01 MDT 2005

Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> I think this had something to do with trade routes. Buddhism went where
> people were and epople were where ther was something to buy and to
> sell.  I guess (correct me if I'm wrong) that Africa was mainly
> agricultural at the time.

I would agree in principle. I sort of have to, since I already indicated
a propserous mercantile class as one source of patronage. But there is
very little solid evidence of trade between Greco-Roman Egypt and India
that I am personally aware of. Perhaps someone on the list can flesh
that out.

Certainly the spread of Buddhism into central Asia and from there into
China and beyond closely followed the Silk Route.

Michel

--
"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell