[Buddha-l] Re: [Karma and ethics [was: angels]

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat May 28 13:24:34 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-28 at 20:28 +0200, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> I disagree, hermeneutics is to let the text do the talking, exegesis is
> to explain a text according to preestablished criteria.

Perhaps the words have come to have other meanings. The definitions I
gave were based on a lengthy essay on the topic in The Interpreter's
Bible. As far as I am aware, the terms came into use a few centuries
back in the context of biblical studies, and most people in comparative
religions now use the terms in the way I have used them to talk about
the study of other scriptural traditions.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy