[Buddha-l] Levinas and Buddhism

Eric Nelson esnels at gmail.com
Sat May 28 11:38:27 MDT 2005

On 5/28/05, Gad Horowitz <horowitz at chass.utoronto.ca> wrote:
> eric, can you refer me to writings exploring the Buddhism/Levinas interface?

I have heard a number of lectures, mostly at the SACP, but little has
been published on Levinas and comparative philosophy in general.
Concerning Levinas and Buddhism:

Brook Ziporyn does a little on this in his Being and Ambiguity:
Philosophical Experiments with Tiantai Buddhism.

Annabella Pitkin, Scandalous ethics. Infinite presence with suffering.
Journal of Consciousness Studies, 2001, vol. 8, no. 5-7, pp. 231-246.

Gillian Rose criticized Levinas for "Buddhist Judaism" (she apparently
means "apolitical ethics" by this) and being more Buddhist than Jewish
in Mourning Becomes the Law : Philosophy and Representation. She does
not seem to understand either well.

A much more extended and interesting work is the dissertation:

William Edelglass, The self and the suffering other: Levinas and
Santideva on the ethics of compassion

Brian Schroeder has given lectures on Levinas, Zen, and the Kyoto
school. I am not sure if he has published any of this work yet.

Edith Wyschogrod, David Michael Levin, and Wendy Farley have expressed
interest in Levinas and Buddhism. I am unaware of any publications.

Perhaps others know of further sources.
Eric