[Buddha-l] angel or sphinx?

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Fri May 27 14:05:31 MDT 2005

Kate wrote:
> The problem is we have yet to establish just what an angel looks like,
> or at least what the type of angel that visited Sodom looked like.

019:005 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the *men*
         which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that
         we may know them. (emphasis added)

So, they must have been indistinguishable from men. Otherwise the
Sodomites would have said "where are the winged humanoids with lion and
bull faces that came in to thee last night?"

> Could be the angels were of great beauty and this attracted the men.
> However as mentioned sodomites were interested in both men and beasts.

No, no, see my other post: that is your understanding but certainbly not
the generally accepted one. By the way, when you quote the OED, you give
the definition for "bugger" and not for "Sodomite". That will not do,
Kate. <g>

> There is a ninefold celestial hierarchy of heavenly beings along with a
> host of fallen angels and demons.  The ones we usually think of as
> 'angels' are the seraphs who are of the highest order and cherubs who
> are of the second order.  Both have wings but while the cherub resembles
> a child, originally the seraph were six-winged fiery flying serpents
> which sound more like dragons than angels. The 'fallen' angels were the
> "sons of God" type angels who came to earth to beget children on mortal
> women (Genesis 6:4)  Later these were called demons or incubi , or
> "fallen angels. (The Woman's Encyclopaedia of Myths and Secrets - BG
> Walker)

"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell