[Buddha-l] angel or sphinx?

Michel Clasquin clasqm at mweb.co.za
Thu May 26 15:14:10 MDT 2005

Kate wrote:

> As their name implies, the Sodomites were into animals, not angels.....

Wanna bet?

Genesis
019:001 And there came two angels to Sodom at even; and Lot sat in the
         gate of Sodom: and Lot seeing them rose up to meet them; and
         he bowed himself with his face toward the ground;
019:002 And he said, Behold now, my lords, turn in, I pray you, into
         your servant's house, and tarry all night, and wash your feet,
         and ye shall rise up early, and go on your ways. And they
         said, Nay; but we will abide in the street all night.
019:003 And he pressed upon them greatly; and they turned in unto him,
         and entered into his house; and he made them a feast, and did
         bake unleavened bread, and they did eat.
019:004 But before they lay down, the men of the city, even the men of
         Sodom, compassed the house round, both old and young, all the
         people from every quarter:
019:005 And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, Where are the men
         which came in to thee this night? bring them out unto us, that
         we may know them.

"know" is a common biblical euphemism for "have sex with", as we can see
in verse 8:

019:006 And Lot went out at the door unto them, and shut the door
         after him,
019:007 And said, I pray you, brethren, do not so wickedly.
019:008 Behold now, I have two daughters which have not known man; let
         me, I pray you, bring them out unto you, and do ye to them as
         is good in your eyes: only unto these men do nothing; for
         therefore came they under the shadow of my roof.

Somehow they always seemed to forget to teach verse 8 in Sunday school...

--
"Many people would sooner die than think; In fact, they do so."
-- Bertrand Russell