[Buddha-l] Levinas and Buddhism

Eric Nelson esnels at gmail.com
Thu May 26 14:09:36 MDT 2005

Dear Gad,
Actually there are a number of people working on Buddhist and
Levinasian ethics, especially regarding the significance of the
Bodhisattva as existing for the sake of others.

Levinas himself did not encourage such comparative pursuits given his
complete disregard of eastern thought.

Zen masters and scholars have sometimes unfortunately misinterpreted
the ethical core of Buddhism, with disastrous results, if the ethical
is not merely a means to be overcome and left behind but is rather
constitutive of awakening itself.

One needs to be careful not to mystify what Levinas means by God and
religion (prereflective ethical obligations to others). For Levinas:
"When I maintain an ethical relation I refuse to recognize the role I
would play in a drama of which I would not be the author or whose
outcome another would know before me; I refuse to figure in a drama of
salvation or of damnation that would be enacted in spite of me and
that would make game of me. This is not equivalent to diabolical
pride, for it does not exclude obedience. But obedience precisely is
to be distinguished from an involuntary participation in mysterious
designs in which one figures or prefigures. Everything that cannot be
reduced to an interhuman relation represents not the superior but the
forever primitive form of religion" (TI 79).

best wishes, Eric