[Buddha-l] angels

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Wed May 25 06:00:52 MDT 2005

In message <005701c560ca$980b12d0$3c634e51 at zen>, Stephen Hodge
<s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk> writes
>Michel Clasquin wrote:
>
>> Is the depiction of angels as winged humanoids not a more recent European
>> invention?
>I vaguely  remember reading somewhere that the "wings" are not actually
>wings but a misunderstanding or misrepresentation of a mandorla or aura of
>shimmering light with which they are supposed to be enveloped.

I find some similarities with 1000-arm Chenrezig. Maybe the arms, wings
or auras are to symbolise reaching out equally to all beings.  Aviation
would appear to be a rather inelegant way of doing this.

--
Metta
Mike Austin