[Buddha-l] Supporting Peace

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue May 24 13:18:02 MDT 2005

curt wrote:

> For a somewhat different approach to the question of
> religious groups working together with progressives,
> leftists, liberals, peaceniks, etc for justice, peace, etc,
> see this interview with George Galloway:
> http://www.counterpunch.com/nagy05232005.html

Thanks for sending that in, Curt.

This past weekend there was a meeting of a new group in Albuquerque
called Ecumenical Voices for Democracy (http://www.evoices.org). Their
first initiative was a panel discussion, open to the public, called "The
Uses and Abuses of Religion." At this first meeting their idea of
ecumenism was to have a Roman Catholic sociology professor, an Anglican
priest, an evangelical minister from Albuquerque's biggest megachurch
and a secular humanist lawyer who works for the ACLU. No Buddhists,
Hindus, Sikhs, Muslims or native American leaders were included at this
round, but perhaps they will get their turn at one of the planned future
events.

This event got off to an interesting start. The evangelical minister
introduced himself as a former US Marine from Ozark, Arkansas, who
looked like he would be more at home on the defensive line of a
professional football team than on an ecumenical panel. He started
things off by reading the Mayflower Compact, which showed, he said, that
from the very beginning the founding of a colony in America was a purely
Christian undertaking. Then he explained that the US Constitution was
written by Christians and that the first amendment clearly means that no
government should pass a law limiting the freedom of any Christian
church, but does NOT mean that the government should not be guided by
the one and only true god who gave his only begotten son as the only
means for the salvation of man, amen. (There was a marked absence of
anyone in this particular audience shouting "Hallelujah, Brother!" which
seemed to throw the minister off his stride a bit, but he kept on
message for the rest of his talk anyway. The salvation of man was
mentioned another dozen times or so, with no hint that women or children
might be included.) The message ended with an impassioned argument that
since all men are sinners (and, apparently, no women are allowed to
talk), no laws passed by men are worthwhile, and therefore humanism is
evil, and the only law worth living under is the law of the one eternal
and infallible God who gave his only begotten son as the only means for
the salvation of man, amen.

The good minister's talk was followed by the Anglican, the ACLU lawyer
and the Catholic sociologist each in his own way pointing out the
deficiencies in the evangelist's message. They used quite a bit of
theological and legal technical terminology like "scary" and "spooky" to
describe his world view, but the audience seemed sophisticated enough to
follow their critiques despite the unfamiliar terminology.

The entire thing was not exactly a model of how ecumenical co-operation
should go, but I have a hunch it was a pretty good example of how it in
fact is likely to go these days. Not a hell of a lot of dialogue seemed
to be going on, and I'm not sure anyone's mind was changed on much of
anything. My hunch is we're all going to have to get used to such
aborted (if you'll pardon the expression) attempts at interfaith
communication.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy