[Buddha-l] angels

Angela Sumegi asumegi at ccs.carleton.ca
Tue May 24 04:25:04 MDT 2005

At 08:19 PM 23/05/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>For a text I'm writing, I'm very interested to hear of any descriptions of
>angels in Buddhism

Perhaps you could look at the nature of the gandharvas - they are
musically-inclined heavenly beings and angels like harps :)

I have heard a lama who, when asked if Buddhism had the idea of guardian
angels such as one finds in Christianity, answered yes. He then went on to
describe what sounded to me like the gods (lha) that are born with a person
in the Tibetan folk tradition. So you may wish to look also in that
direction for correlations.

I agree with the person who suggested you need to figure out who or what
angels are before trying to find evidence of them in Buddhism.

best,
Angela

>thank you
>
>--
><mailto:Gary.Gach at Gmail.com>Gary.Gach at Gmail.com
>http://word.to
>                                           m   a   y        a   l   l
>    b   e   i   n   g   s
>                                                    b   e        w   e   l