[Buddha-l] Re: Nirvana si, bodhi no!

Bradley Clough bclough at aucegypt.edu
Thu May 19 06:38:47 MDT 2005

On May 19, 2005, at 1:57 AM, Richard P. Hayes wrote:

> On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 03:05 -0500, Bruce Burrill wrote:
>
>> So, the questions: what exactly in the suttas (not the commentaries)
>> is
>> bodhi, and how does it differ, if at all, from that of the arahant?
>
> As far as I am aware, there is no difference at all. Buddhas and
> arahants both have exactly the same set of bojjhangas.

Since this thread seems to have sustained interest, some might be find
it worthwhile to look at Nathan Katz's  *Buddhist Images of Human
Perfection* (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1989). In this work he makes
an extended argument that in the Pali suttas, the attainments of the
Buddha and the arahant are practically the same.

Brad Clough
The American University in Cairo
bclough at aucegypt.edu