[Buddha-l] Re: Can an Air Force cadet have Buddha nature?

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue May 17 15:13:16 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-17 at 16:39 -0400, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> > people can see that not all
> > Buddhists are quietists, not all Christians are fundamentalists, not all
> > Jews are Zionists, not all Muslims are terrorists, not all Jains are
> > self-starving nudists and so forth.
>
> Zionism is racism? Time to wash away the brainwashing, my friend.

Time to learn to read more carefully, my friend. Not a mention of racism
anywhere in what I said. All I said is that not all Jews are Zionists.
And that I know for a fact is true. I think if you'll read the full
context of what I wrote you'll see that my point was that all religious
groups tend to be stereotyped by outsiders. If you think it's false that
Jews are sometimes stereotyped, I'll retract that part of my claim. But
the larger point--that it is not a bad idea to counter tendencies to
stereotype people of groups that one does not oneself belong to--is one
that I would like to keep intact, if it doth not offend thee.

--
Richard Hayes
***