[Buddha-l] Sanskrit and Tibetan in LaTeX/Emacs/AucTeX on XP

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri May 13 21:29:39 MDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 10:15 +0100, Tomoyuki Kono wrote:

> I used to use Omega too but ran into trouble when I tried to write
> something in Japanese. Fortunately there is another LaTeX package
> which supports unicode, including CJK (Chinese, Japanese and Korean)
> characters: UCS.

Thank you very much for this information. Until now I have never found a
LaTeX package for CJK that I could figure out how to use with emacs on
Linux. All the CJK LaTeX packages I have seen are extremely complex, and
they have all defeated me. I can't recall whether UCS was one of the
ones that I tried, but I think it was. Perhaps I should try it again.

I have noticed that more and more messages on the H-BUDDHISM list are
displaying Chinese and Japanese characters, so clearly lots of people
are getting the hang of using unicode on their computers. It is a vast
improvement over the days when all we could use was ASCII.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy