[Buddha-l] Claude Anshin Thomas/ approaches to "nonduality"

John Whalen-Bridge elljwb at nus.edu.sg
Mon May 9 22:36:38 MDT 2005

Claude Anshin Thomas' book AT HELL'S GATE is relevant to the current thread on nonduality in that the book in no way identities nonduality or enlightenment as permanent psychological states and does not even seem to regard the elimination of traumatic pain as likely.  Anshin writes of highly traumatic experiences in Vietnam, and the "realization" to which he witnesses is the realization that he doesn't HAVE to ever reach a point where he can sleep more than two hours in a night--letting go of that self-concept was an "enlightening" breakthrough.  I found his discussion of the relations between practice and fruition very convincing.  Anshin also shows up as a "character" in Maxine Hong Kingstons hybrid fiction-autobiography, THE FIFTH BOOK OF PEACE, which has some behind-the-scenes representations of Plum Village.

Best,
JWB

Message: 4