[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun May 8 21:11:33 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-09 at 01:51 +0100, Mike Austin wrote:

> I need a plumber for my central heating. Do I look up 'plumbing actions'
> in the Yellow Pages?

So your point is what? If you need some nirvana, you have to look under
"Enlightened master" in the Yellow Pages?

> If one posits actions, one may consistently posit a doer of actions.

By that reasoning, if one posits consciousness, one may consistently
posit a permanent soul that is the seat of consciousness.

> It is the description of us as processes  that dispels the myth of
> substantial self. The purpose is not to create another myth in its
> place.

Exactly so. But who has done that?

> I doubt if lopsided thinking paves the way to sanity or Buddhism.

Who would dispute that? But where have you seen lopsided thinking in
this discussion?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy