[Buddha-l] liturgical languages

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat May 7 17:35:49 MDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-07 at 17:19 -0700, Gad Horowitz wrote:

> I can't remember where I read that there is no enlightened person--only
> enlightened actions.  Could this be part of the way to a saner Buddhism?

That is a wonderful saying. I also can't remember where I first
encountered it. Walt Whitman? Mark Twain? Thich Nhat Hanh? It may even
have been Sangharakshita; he does sometimes say things rather like
that.

In my opinion, which has never been humble despite almost always being
wrong, the quotation you cite is indeed the beginning of a sane approach
to Buddhism.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy