[Buddha-l] Re: Rational or mythological Buddhism and WesternBuddhist lay practice

Stuart Lachs slachs at worldnet.att.net
Mon Mar 28 19:51:06 MST 2005

Richard Hayes wrote:

Yes, I actually mean that these rules have nothing to do with desire.
> They have everything to do with avoiding social disapproval, and also of
> setting a decorous example to the laity. It was to avoid social
> disapproval that the monastic code had rules against monks laughing
> boisterously in the company of the laity or using coarse language. When
> monks were in the company only of other monks, however, laughter was not
> against the rules. No one thought laughter was itself an obstacle to
> spiritual attainment.

Avoiding social diapproval and gaining social approval is a big part of
monk's training to the present times. Monks are instructed how to stand, how
to talk, how to  hold their hands, how to even relax (at least in public),
how to give a talk that sounds like a Rinzai monk say, as opposed to a Soto
monk and so on. These prescriptions are all meant to make the sangha
acceptable to the laity, but also, to make them separate and visibly
different from the laity. The laity may talk loudly and laugh loudly, but
not monks (at least in public), the same goes for how a monk carries
oneself. They should stand in a "respectful and dignified" way.
My guess is one reason masturbation is less an offense then say "humping a
hollow in a tree" is that it is done in private. Does anyone know the rule
on public masterbation?

Stuart