[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines [Lusthaus IV]

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Mar 26 11:07:53 MST 2005

Dear Dan,

You wrote:
> If having to choose between what Buddha's rebuking of
> Sati the Fisherman for thinking that consciousness is that which fares on
> from this life to the next, and Schayer's affirmation of that doctrine as
> "original," I'll go with the tipitaka account. At most, that suggests that
> there were, even then, some trying to import that into Buddha's
> teaching --
> and he definitively rejected that attempt to misrepresent him.
First, Schayer did not say that that doctrine was original, merely that it
probably belongs to an earlier phase of the teachings.  There are grounds or
considering the Sati rebuke as belonging to either alternative understanding
of matters or more likely a somewhat later phase of development.

To understand why this may be so, on should consider the two main versions
of the pratitya-samutpada, the one which begins with ignorance and the one
which begins with consciousness.  The reason why there are these wto
versions seems to be connected with the two alternative "paths" which
culminate in ceto-vimutti and pa~n~naa-vimutti.  As far as I can see, the
broad consensus among the handful of scholars dealing with this area
proposes that the second path, the one relying primarily on insight, is the
junior path, whereas the first path centred on dhyana is the older one.
Hence, it is unsurprising that those asserting that liberation is attained
through insight would see ignorance as the ultimate problem whereas those
following the process of dhyana with its concommitant quiescence would see
consciousness or rather the "pravrttis" of consciousness to be the problem.
Looking carefully at the Buddha's reported description[s] of what he
attained and how he attained it, it would seem that it was achieved through
dhyana and not insight.  This would explain why the eightfold path includes
or culminates in samadhi and does not even mention prajna.

The aim of the dhyana path is vijnana-nirodha.  But this cannot simply mean
the cessation of consciousness in the sense of eradication, but in the sense
that what later came to be called vijnana-pravrtti.  There are quite a numer
of places in the tipitaka where the Buddha gives some hints about the
continuity of this "stopped" vijnana, for example in his reported discussion
with Vacchagotta (MN 72).

If the Buddha, according to reports, alludes to his continued post-mortem
existence in a nivana-ed state, this "stopped" vijnana seems to be the only
candidate for what persists.  In passing, I would also suggest that this
could be linked to the prabhasvara-citta concept.  Anyway, since there is no
suggestion that the Buddha created some kind of new vijnana, but merely
altered one that was already present for him, then the locus for the
achievement of nirvana or Buddhahood must also be present beforehand in
everybody.  Whether there is a direct genetic connection or not, this is
what proponents of tathagata-garbha or buddha-dhatu are asserting, according
to my understanding of their teachings.  Appealing to your own interests,
one can also see how this implied concept of vijnana would also be relevent
to Yogacara, although you presumably would want to avoid any ontological
implications.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge