[Buddha-l] Re: Rational or mythological Buddhism and Western Buddhist lay practice

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Mar 25 11:08:59 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 17:53 +0100, Mikael Aktor wrote:

> OK, if we talk about celibacy. But what is demanded is sexual abstinence
> in all forms (of which quite a lot have nothing to do with reproduction).

A huge number of rules in the Buddhist vinaya are driven by
considerations of what is seemly or socially acceptable. Having sexual
relations with trees (which is actually forbidden) was banned because
the people who supported the monastic community with alms were likely to
look with disfavor upon monks humping trees. People were very prudish in
those days.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy