[Buddha-l] Protestant Buddhisms

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 24 15:50:55 MST 2005

Gang,

Sorry to be so late in replying, but I wanted to respond briefly to a
most important question raised by Richard Nance:

> Schopen's real point may well be that any view that locates a religious
> tradition in the texts of that tradition imports outmoded assumptions
> that are inappropriate for scholarly work. Is Schopen right about
> this? I
> suppose the answer one gives to that question will depend a lot on
> what one understands the vocation of a scholar to require.

I, in turn, suppose that the answer to the question is that the
vocation of a scholar requires one to open-mindedly study the evidence
available in one's field of inquiry. In our case we have not only
textual evidence of Buddhism, but, as Schopen demonstrates,
archeological evidence. Paul Mus (French Buddhologist of the
entres-les-guerres era) was highly influential on me here--and possibly
on Schopen, also certainly on Bernard Faure--connecting Buddhist
doctrine to Buddhist and Brahmanic *practices* as much as we can
recover them. The study of classic Buddhist texts has always reminded
me of the joke about looking for the lost car keys under the
streetlight simply because that's where you *could* see them, though
they don't happen to be there.

I would add that in the case of contemporary Buddhism we have a very
great deal more evidence to open-mindedly study if we want to fulfill
the vocation of scholarship. This is exactly why the study of
contemporary Buddhism is so vital and so disrespected: though it can
tell us so much more about human experience and this fascinating mess
we call "Buddhism," it is far too broad and diverse to get any
consensus on. There are just too many streetlights and keys here,
forcing all but the boldest scholars to retreat, buglike, to the
darkness. The scholarship that does get done also ends up conducted in
vulgar tongues by experts with differing expertise who have to make
their discourse mutually intelligible and thus--heaven preserve
us!--open to scrutiny by the educated public. For these reasons and
others it fails to generate academically self-sustaining study-groups
(aka Buddhist studies areas in research universities). The "real"
scholarship of, say, the development of American Buddhism will only get
done when the evidence lies under the soothing lights of libraries and
excavations.

Franz Metcalf