[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines [Lusthaus I]

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Mar 24 12:03:59 MST 2005

Dear Dan,

>I won't respond to everything [snip]  Some quick observations instead.
I'll respond to your various points piecemeal in sub-threads that can,
hopefully, be closed down when they cease to be productive.

> Second, the proposal seems to presuppose that the cause pre-exists in the
> effect (a kind of samkhyan position in reverse), since it basically
> attempts
> to justify Mahayana innovations by assigning them early credentials [snip]
> there must have been a fuller blown early XYZ -- or at least Y --
> dimension to early Buddhism
This is not my position.  However, I do think that there is a greater
continuity with what went before than some people recognize.  I would not,
therefore, immediately assume that the bulk of Mahayana is innovative in
content.  The materials are somewhat sparse in some respects, but I think
that the various Mahayanas were part of an on-going religious and
philosophical "dialogue" within the Buddhist movement.

> so early it has been erased from explicit memory by agendas driven
> elsewhere, though, nonetheless, miraculously preserved and resurrected
> by later Mahayana figures.
This again is not my position.  I am suggesting that we at least consider
the possibility that different groups in early Buddhism had differing
preferences and interpretations with regards the core teachings assembled in
the immediate aftermath of the Buddha's life.  It does not seem to me
entirely unreasonable to suspect that at least one type of group did
maintain a variant understanding of the core teachings that escaped the
abhidharmization process which which centred in the monasteries.  I have now
alluded several times to these non-monastic / non-lay individuals as one
possibility.  It would be a useful task to see if there are any other traces
of these people and the origins in other early Mahayana texts, not that we
know what we are looking for.  If the MPNS is anything to go by, these
people had carried on basically independently from the monasteries but for
some unexplained reason later moved into the monasteries some time between
100 - 200CE.and began promoting their doctrines and reforms.  That
peripheral groups can survive and transmit some doctrines over a long period
is well known:  the example of the Japanese "kakure kirishitan" or some of
the Beni Israel groups (India, Ethiopia, Southern Africa etc) spring to
mind.

> In short, the proposal becomes a cover story for the standard Mahayana
> myth of how its origins were not sudden divergent innovations, but an
> emergence of factors from the original Buddha that had been kept in a
> subterranean existence during the interim.
The way you phrase this is dismissive but there could be a grain of truth in
these claims.  Again, due to the comoplexity of the matter and the paucity
of helpful material perhaps makes either position speculative and difficult
to falsify either way.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge