[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines

F.K. Lehman (F.K.L. Chit Hlaing) f-lehman at uiuc.edu
Thu Mar 24 09:25:50 MST 2005

>Richard Hayes has just written:
>
>For whom is this theory standard? Most of what I have read on the
>subject suggests that Mahayana (insofar as there ever was such a thing
>in reality) was a sort of supererogatory practice for monks. The
>bodhisattva, it has always seemed to me, was a kind of supermonk, or, as
>we might say in this country, a monastic with attitude. This is the
>impression one gets from the PrajñÇ-pÇramitÇ literature.

I want to add my 'two-cents-worth' to his. I have
never found much literature claiming Mahayana (or
even its putative precursor, Mahasanghika) was a
lay movement. Rather, it seems to have been
addressed TO, inter alia, lay-people's
aspirations to somehow be included, both in the
'church', so to say, and more directly, at least,
within the institutional and individual
possibility of 'salvation' (nibbana or whatever).
this can only be understood as part of a sort of
'populist' movement in Hinduism as well as
Buddhism at this time, and, as Richard Hayes
suggests, put forward by monks - no doubt in the
context of the India-wide competition for lay
adherents, supporters, followers.
--
F. K. L. Chit Hlaing
Professor