[Buddha-l] Anomalous doctrines

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Mar 23 18:55:24 MST 2005

Professor Chit Hlaing wrote:

> These 'wandering ascetics' need not have been, and almost certainly were
> not literally dwellers in any forest; rather, they were to be found in
> what we used, in Indian-Burmese English to call 'jungly' villages, towns
> etc., e.g., the early stupas and reliquaries Hodge mentions at this point
> in his useful message.

One of the reasons that I find the MPNS so intriguing is the insight it
gives into the lives of a group of people who are likely to have been among
the very early proponents of some forms of Mahayana.  As I mentioned
previously, the people were not monks in the conventional sense since they
did not follow the monastic Vinaya (nor, of course, even dwelt in viharas)
but they were not upasakas either.  This is interesting because it
contradicts the standard theory that Mahayana originated as a lay movement.
The MPNS also describes how these dharmakathikas, who styled themselves
bodhisattvas, travelled around desolate regions and remote settlements with
bands of upasakas as well as armed body-guards for their protection.  There
is lots more that can be said about these people which I may introduce as
the need arises.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge