[Buddha-l] Rational or mythological Buddhism and Western Buddhist lay pra...

Michael Rolig michael.rolig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 12:45:18 MST 2005

> > The problem, in short, is that meditation as part of virtuosi practice
> > is inseparable from a virtuosi lifestyle (monastic, renunciate,
> > celibate etc.), and that such practice when becoming part of a modern
> > lay Buddhist lifestyle (socially and emotionally demanding in relation
> > to family, job etc.) creates psychological stress, tensions,
> > disappointments, and even mental problems.

I would also add that this "virtuosi" lifestyle is neither the end in
itself nor is it the perfectly virtuous.  The life of a monastic is
filled with all the same challenges as the life of a lay practitioner
(that's why the monastic order has rules reguarding conflict
resolution, etc, right?).  I believe there is probably a difference in
degree, however the monastic life is a vehicle to make the practice
easier, not a requisite.  What is different between a person "working"
in a public school as a teacher and the Buddha (or any monk)
"practicing" as a teacher in a monastary -- both are work and present
challenges for a buddhist? Nirvana is not being a monk, being a monk
is a way to reach nirvana. After all, aren't there 84,000 dharma
doors?

Michael Rolig