[Buddha-l] Rational or mythological Buddhism and Western Buddhist lay practice

Mikael Aktor MA at e-tidsskrift.dk
Tue Mar 22 04:38:25 MST 2005

I'm wondering what are the implications in terms of *Buddhist practice*
of the ongoing discussion on tathaagatagarbha etc.?

Richard Gombrich (and Grananath Obeyesekere) raised some very
interesting question regarding the tendency of "protestant Buddhism" in
Sri Lanka to adopt different meditation practices, all originally part
of a Theravaada virtuosi lifestyle. The problem, in short, is that
meditation as part of virtuosi practice is inseparable from a virtuosi
lifestyle (monastic, renunciate, celibate etc.), and that such practice
when becoming part of a modern lay Buddhist lifestyle (socially and
emotionally demanding in relation to family, job etc.) creates
psychological stress, tensions, disappointments, and even mental problems.

I don't know whether some have developed this thought further in
relation to Western Buddhist practice, but it would seem highly
relevant. Many Western Buddhists are caught in a dilemma. Their
background has made them skeptical to a mythologized Buddha, to
ritualism and to a strongly devotional, master-disciple- and
faith-demanding kind of Buddhism. So they seek the rational Buddhism of
Theravaada or Soto Zen meditation centers. But most of those centers are
well aware of Gombrich's problem, and therefore, what they offer is not
the "full monty", but rather (to stay in this domain) a kind of coitus
interruptus - some mindfulness and loving kindness meditation, for
example, in the Theravaada centers, but not higher concentrations. And
anyway, are such quietistic practices well suited to people living busy
lives full of all the Western mental stuff like relationships, love
affairs, career opportunities, divorces etc.? After all, no pali sources
(as far as I am aware of) recommend meditation for lay people, but
daana, visits to stupas and other devotional practices. But the modern
West does not accept limitations, we demand it all: love, sex, career
AND nirvana (or at least occasional satoris).

Suppose one is a busy Westerner, webbed in job ambitions, emotional ties
to family, friends, former wives, present lovers, and kids from former
marriages - but very much in favor of the rational, human Buddha that
Dan Lusthaus commends. ;-) What kind of Buddhist practice goes with
that? Intellectual reflection on the value of a tathaagatagarbha
concept? What more? Or does our busy Westerner have to make the (rather
un-Buddhist) choice that in the West Buddhism is (only) a philosophy,
not a religious practice? Wouldn't some kind of more emotionally
engaging practice be more adequate - even if not fully rational?

Note the success of Nichiren Buddhism in the West. I don't think it is
only a matter of shakubuku, and neither is it only a matter of all the
Lotus Sutra mythology (which I doubt really means very much to Western
practitioners). But Nichiren seemed to have focused exactly on the
question of adequate practice for lay Buddhists and came up with one
single practice (daimoku chanting) which seems a compromise between
meditation, ritual and prayer. Soka Gakkai added to that a system of
mutual consultations among group members about all kinds of daily
problems so that actual life is constantly integrated in the religious
practice. The success of that is well described and analyzed by
sociologists (Karel Dobbelare, Bryan Wilson, and others). For the more
rationally and philosophically minded SG members there will be some
intellectual camels to swallow (or leave as irrelevant), but who cares,
if the practice is experienced as fruitful (whatever in the total
practice-engagement-in-the-movement makes the trick)?

A rational, humanized Buddhism may be appealing for intellectual
reasons, but what does it offer on the practical side? And if it offers
anything, does that take Gombrich's problem about a conflict between
virtuosi and lay lifestyles into account?

All the best,
Mikael Aktor

--
Mikael Aktor, Assistant Lecturer, PhD