[Buddha-l] MPNS & Buddha-nature (Lusthaus)

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Mar 21 13:20:02 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-21 at 19:09 +0000, Stephen Hodge wrote:

> In fact, I wonder just how much would be left of any Buddhist
> doctrines if they all had to be logically proven and defended.

I think a tentative answer to that question can be gleaned from the
Pramāṇa‐siddhi chapter of the Pramāṇa‐vārttika. What survives
Dharmakīrti's attempt to show that the Dharma can be discovered purely
by logic, without recourse to any scripture, is not much but a
particularly thin version of the four noble truths and the *possibility*
(but by no means the certainty) of rebirth. But that, he claims, is
plenty, since everything else is just an elaboration of one of those
four truths anyway.

While I personally love the minimalist approach to Buddhism, it is not
at all difficult to understand why others, with different taste buds and
richer imaginations than mine, might prefer some spice along with their
nourishment, and perhaps even a bit of dessert.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy