[Buddha-l] Re: G-d damn it

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Mar 14 14:15:14 MST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-14 at 20:43 +0100, Benito Carral wrote:

> > That  is  not  her tradition. She somehow managed to be one of
> > the  most  cheerful,  relaxed  and delightfully funny people I
> > have known, all without the benefits of meditation.
>
>    That's good. :) I hope she doesn't drive crazy when she reads
> _G-d._

She's unlikely to be driven crazy. She did once ask me, while I was in
the Faculty of Religious Studies, to inform Jewish students who follow
that practice of the errors of their ways. If they choose to persist in
the practice, it is their prerogative, and it will bother neither her
nor me, unless they both write "G-d" AND vote for G-rg- W B-sh.

> Out of curiosity, do your informants think in themselves as Orthodox
> Jews?

Yes. I know three orthodox Jews, two of them rabbis, who disapprove of
the practice.

>    I  think  that  it is also a good Buddhist topic, and I thank
> you for having brought it up. :)

There is nothing even remotely Buddhist about it. I accept
responsibility for having introduced a topic of no importance and of no
relevance to Buddhism.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy