[Buddha-l] Multi-cause vs single-cause

Mike Austin mike at lamrim.org.uk
Fri Mar 11 00:48:28 MST 2005

In message <Pine.GSO.4.58.0503110844070.14309 at sf0.comp.nus.edu.sg>, Wong
Weng Fai <wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg> writes

>My first posting on this new forum...
>
>A friend of mine brought up the following issue and I would like to get
>some expert opinions. It is mentioned in many books (including say
>Jayatilleke) that the Buddhist theory of causation is one of multiple
>causes, multiple effects. Yet it is hard (impossible?) to find evidence of
>this in the Pali or Mahayanist sutras. There it is almost always mentioned
>that a single event caused a single consequence.

Of interest here may be Tsongkhapa's 'Lam Rim Chenmo':

"Consequently, happiness and suffering do not occur in the absence of
causes, nor do they arise from incompatible causes such as a divine
creator or a primal essence. Rather, happiness and suffering, in
general, come from virtuous and non-virtuous karma, and the various
particular happinesses and sufferings arise individually, without even
the slightest confusion, from various particular instances of these two
kinds of karma. Attaining certain knowledge of the definiteness, or
non-deceptiveness, of karma and its effects is called the correct
viewpoint for all Buddhists and is praised as the foundation of all
virtue."

I think what Tsongkhapa says must be correct here. Although one cannot
identify a 'particular happiness' (indeed, the very idea of such a thing
seems ridiculous) the definiteness of karma makes such a conclusion hard
to avoid.

--
Metta
Mike Austin