[Buddha-l] Multi-cause vs single-cause

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 10 21:56:47 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 08:49 +0800, Wong Weng Fai wrote:

> What is the sutta-basis for the alternative claim of multiple-cause,
> multiple-effect?

I'm not aware of any canonical passages that state this. It is widely
said in scholastic writings, such as the Abhidharmakosha and its
commentaries and in the writings of Dharmakiirti. For example, in the
refutation of such notions as the creation of the world by God, the
evolution of all things from Brahman or Purusha or Prak.rti, it is
argued that it makes no sense to say that all things derive from a
single source, since there is no accounting for how variety could arise.
Moreover, Dharmakiirti defines a thing's svabhaava (nature) as its hetu-
samaagrii (collection of causes). In the karma chapter of the
Ahidharmakosha there is a very extensive argument against all the
variety of the world coming from a single source.

As for the claim that from a collection of causes many effects arise,
the argument is that each complex of causes sets in motion a long
sequence of events, each of which is dependent on the original complex.

As far as I am aware, all these claims arise from the nyaayaanusaarin
Buddhists (those who rely on reasoning), not from the aagamaanusaarin
Buddhists (those who rely on scriptural tradition). If I were going to
try to find such claims in a sutra, I think I would look first in one of
the philosophical sutras, such as the Lankaavataara. But I cannot cite a
specific passage. That's just where I would first look.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy