[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhism and dana, church and charity

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Mar 10 20:06:20 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 01:58 +0100, Benito Carral wrote:

>    As I said, I don't know much about Buddhism in America, but here in
> Spain, Buddhism is something quite individualist. In addition to that,
> many  Buddhists  don't understand why they should contribute with some
> money  to  their  temple, since "Buddhism should be for free."

Yes, I have heard that many times. I usually suggest that if they want a
free temple, they should go to the park and listen to the birds. In
fact, I have started to follow my own advice. Haven't been to a temple
or Dharma center for about three years. Or maybe more like five. Or
eight. I forget.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy