[Buddha-l] Buddhism and dana, church and charity

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 10 11:55:41 MST 2005

Gang,

Just a brief comment on American Buddhist social engagement (or its
lack). I think we need to be careful to keep in mind several
distinctions here. I'll name just two:

1) Differing forms of American Buddhism differ in their engagement. For
example, my experience is that Zen centers by and large have moved
toward extensive involvement with their communities and with peace
action. This comes, I believe, as a result of Buddhist Peace Fellowship
and Diamond Sangha influence. Tibetan centers may be a totally
different story. Same with Theravada centers. As for the majority forms
of American Buddhism, those practiced by Asian-Americans, there is
constant and vital social activism.

2) Buddhism, as a minority religion in the West, cannot be expected to
foster temples and meditation centers focusing on social action the way
Christian churches can. While I personally believe social action should
be central to the Buddhist path, others may disagree and focus their
energies on propagating the dharma more narrowly. This is appropriate
to the establishment of the tradition. Christian churches do not have
this excuse their denial of social responsibility is a repudiation of
Jesus. (In this matter I refer those interested to the work of Jim
Wallis, editor of Sojourners and recent author of _God's Politics_.)

Cheers,

Franz