[Buddha-l] Re: Buddhist ethics in a contemporary world

John Willemsens advaya at euronet.nl
Thu Mar 10 00:30:12 MST 2005

Person B might have answered something like this: Ah, but that's where you
are wrong. You too will suffer. Now or in the future. And more than you
today think you can bear. Believe it or not, that is how it works, for
everybody. No two ways about it. Karma has no favorites. Come, let me
explain further...
John Willemsens.

<snip>

> person A is about to kill someone/thing
> person B (a Buddhist) says "don't kill it"
> person A asks "why?"
> person B replies with 'that would cause suffering in you and others,
> it will harm the world'
> person A replies 'tough, suffering happens, I can live with that'
>
> ... at that point the Buddhist has no answer.  The Buddha didn't
> convert people who didn't want to follow his path.  If people were
> unconvinced that suffering was something they didn't want to end,
> Buddhism doesn't supply any arguments to stop the killing.

<snip>