[Buddha-l] Buddhism and dana, church and charity

Sally McAra s.mcara at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Mar 8 15:40:35 MST 2005

Benito Carral wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 8, 2005, Richard P. Hayes wrote:
>

>>Are  American  Buddhists pretty much indistinguishable from American
>>Protestants?
>>

>Maybe I should start saying that Buddhism in
>Spain  in a disaster (although I have seen similar approaches in other
>countries  too).

Hi there,
I'm in New Zealand doing a PhD (I'm an occasional reader of Buddha-L
postings... - check the link after my signature to see what I do). I
might also call myself a Buddhist, except that I think about the
different ways the word can be (mis) interpreted and hesitate.

Re the discussion of church and charity - I am also interested in the
idea of "Protestant Buddhism" as it has been developed to think about
how "converts" (I'm using this term very crudely to distinguish from an
equally crude and problematic "immigrant" Buddhism) practice Buddhism,
influenced by their own cultural backgrounds.
 I don't quite know what Benito means by Buddhism being a "disaster" in
Spain ...do you mean it is more "navel-gazing" than compassion in action?

By the by, I'm just wondering what people on the list think as to how
much difference it makes if a convert Buddhist has atheist or Catholic
or Protestant or Jewish (or various other options) origins, and if so if
this would influence the kind of Buddhism they are attracted to
(Tibetan, Zen, innovative vs traditionalist etc)?

By my own observation that seems to be less relevant than other things
such as being fairly well-off, middle-class or "elite", educated,
liberal progressive background. I think many Buddhists (like Evelyn) do
give quite generously of time and money to charitable organisations,
without being *seen* to do so because they don't do so via their
Buddhist organization (if u see what I mean). Certainly I do that
myself, choosing to give time and money to Amnesty International and
some local environmental organizations (promoting bicycling as
sustainable transport, see www.can.org.nz).

Is there any point in trying to persuade my local Buddhist centre to do
those things.. I can see they are busy trying to run meditation & Dharma
classes etc; also for all I know the individuals who go there give way
more than I do, but they do so privately... But what do you think -
should Buddhists try to get their *organizations* doing such things???
The trouble is, most Buddhist organizations themselves have been set up
to teach certain kinds of practices (meditation and Dharma study) not
charitable work. Does this mean such organizations are set up to be
selfish and should reinvent themselves? Or is it best to keep things as
they are, with individuals keeping "church and charity" separate?

Cheers
Sally

--
Sally McAra